With the material purchased, I can now go about designing the desk itself.
When building something for myself, I always list the problems that my current setup includes and will try my best to address each of those issues. For example, when building my bass a couple of years ago, I came to the conclusion that my old one didn't cut through the mix very well, was too heavy on the head stock, didn't have enough strings/EQ control and didn't suit my playing style very well. By listing these problems, I managed to resolve all of them and created an instrument that far surpasses what I had before. You can see the finished bass in the Portfolio section of this website. It's a great way to design something that is based more so for function than form.
I knocked together a basic render of my room so that I could see how the desk fitted into its surroundings. Unfortunately, the length of the top means the leg comes down in line with three conveniently placed sockets at the end of my bed. Two of these I don't use as they are Ethernet ports, the remaining one is a twin 240v outlet which ideally I'd like to have access from my bed. Consequently, I decided to bring the leg down in line with the middle Ethernet socket which renders it useless, although there is still one to the right should I ever have a need for it. The semicircular cutout matches the two I have on the top of the desk and allows me to trail cables through the back edge of the side, rather than around the front, again keeping everything in order.
In the next post, I'll be writing about the construction of the desk. If you want to see even more up to date news, you can follow me on Instagram at:
YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE TO ME ON YOUTUBE:
I'm Matt Estlea, a student at Rycotewood Furniture Centre in Oxford, currently studying a BA Degree in Furniture: Design and Make. I also work at the Basingstoke branch of Axminster Tools and Machinery on weekends and have an unhealthy obsession with cats.